Saturday, May 30, 2009

Ross Bay Pub: Inadvertent Free Beer

A family night at a pub across town is maybe not the most traditional of dinner plans, but it is by no means a bad idea.
The Ross Bay Pub is located across the road from the Ross Bay Cemetery, so you know they've got spirits! Oh snap.
Anywho, it's actually a decent place, bigger than expected, and much like the Country Rose, it reflects the locals. However, since it's in Fairfield, it's a higher class joint with architecture and decorations appearing more modern. The music matches the relaxed modern feel with a mix of blues and jazz styled numbers.
Behind the counter a large lit bar hold a wall of alcohol. It's apparent that beer isn't the specialty here, though I'm not sure what is since I never got close enough to see what bottle were up there.
While the style of the pub is modern, the decor is a little odd, with beer paraphernalia from Lighthouse, Molson Canadian, and other breweries on the walls. It seems a little cliched to put that up and makes it more like other pubs and less unique.
The clientele are older in general, but keeping the place busy. It doesn't look like it would get too raucous in here, especially as the clock edges past 9 and tables start leaving. There are a few TVs on, and they seem to cater to the older crowd as well, with golf on more than a couple.
The service is younger though, all college age. They seem friendly enough, though a little frazzeled when we first arrived in the middle of the rush.
The food was an issue for us. It wasn't crap or anything, but t was poorly timed. Our nachos didn't seem to rush over, but the burgers were right after and we ended up having an over crowded table.
The food itself was decent. The burgers were solid, the fires not overdone. I think I'll Don's opinion at the burger blog to better judge these burgers, I'm never sure how good whatever I'm eating is.
The beer selection is the usual. A few local brews, a couple of crap taps, Stella Artois I think, etc. Nothing too special, but enough to kepp everyone happy.

We did score FREE BEER though. I don't think it was a restaurant sponsored event though. Alexander Keith's has developed it's own wheat beer, I think, and we got sample pints. Always a bonus, although someone accepted a pint and then left it behind. Blasphemy!

All in all it's another solid locals bar. I wouldn't go out of my way to come here again, but if I'm nearby I'd suggest it.
Service - It's a 3.5, even though there was the food snafu, I'm putting that on the kitchen.
Food - It was good, but nothing special - 3.5
Beer - A 3.
Price - A pretty standard pricing set up - 3.5
Character - A nice balance of modern and relaxed, though a little cliche - 4

1 comment: