Sunday, May 10, 2009

Country Rose - Colwood's only pub?

Ok, as a good ol' local boy from Colwood, I've been to the Dairy Queen, I know all the schools in the area and I've burned stuff at a half dozen spots around the municipality. However, I've never been to the Country Rose.

Well, I should say, I HAD never BEEN to the Country Rose. And there was a reason for that. It's rumoured to be an old person's pub. Our parents go there. 40+ crowd. etc.

Well, that seems true.

A couple local youth were around, but the under-30 demographic is under-represented. We grabbed a table near the front of the converted house as we were waiting on our friend Tim to arrive. The same word came to both Kristi and Andrew as they sat down in the chairs.

"Thrones?"

While the outside looks like a simple converted house, the inside has a very west coast/english pub/working class feel to it with lots of wood, some brass, low lights and other fairly generic hints to where you are.

That's not such a bad thing as the pub is not a destination pub, it's a local tavern serving the local people with local styling.

In other words, if you live with-in stumbling distance of this place, you'll probably spend a few paycheques here, but your not driving out from Victoria to experience the Country Rose.

The waitress was quick and freindly, though warned us that the white board advertising the specials might be a little hard to read. She checked up on us often, though it was a little like having your mother come ask if you want more beer.

The tap selection was the weakest point, though I never asked about bottles. I don't imagine it would have been much to write home about(which is kinda what I'm doing, isn't it?). This is one of the places where I can actually list the beers > Coors and Blue, for those unsure of what ales and lagers are, and then Race Rocks, Okanagan 1516 and Hermann's Dark for some true selection. On the upside, prices are on par with what a local bar should be ($4ish (CDN this time!))

Food was average, but that's what you'd expect here. Folks don't come here to thoughtfully sip or savour tasty morsels, they come here to gather with friends after a long day or week and laugh have a good time. Which is good since the TV's are mostly Keno and Poker and the music is turned right down. Oh well, it does have darts, a billiards table and lots of room!
So you might not see me here too soon, unless I want a watering hole within walking distance.

Service - Thanks mom? aunt? - 4
Food - Meh, appetizing at least -3
(Beer) Quality - Five on tap, and two of those are domestics? - 2
(Beer) Price - Hey, it's as cheap a pint as I've seen in awhile - 4.5
Character - A local pub with local charms, which haven't grown on me yet - 4

4 comments:

  1. NICE! The pub blog has become a reality!

    Let me know if you're ever looking for a chimer, or if you want to come along on a burger blog pub trip to do a chime.

    Donald

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the country rose.. it was one of my first pubs. it worked out for me since walking home was the only option. the pool table is great and free on sundays and it's nice not being around all the typical langford staion house crowd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never been to the Country Rose but have always been tempted. I don't think it qualifies as Colwood's only pub. There is that other pub at Colwood Corner's. I can't remember the name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to go here all the time with friends ,until the time I saw a rat crawling along the floor behind the bar. The owner, Dick the Stick, did nothing about that, or the constant over-service of drunks (he was often loaded himself, in his own bar), and service to minors. The food,such as it were, is very ordinary, as is the beer selection. Don't bother coming unless you live beside the DQ and don't want to drive.

    ReplyDelete